VirtualFS is a framework and a set of pseudo file system
drivers. It provides one missing link to ease Linux
acceptance as a desktop workstation. VirtualFS fix few
problems here and there, but goes further. It does:
- Simplified access to floppies, cdroms and sound card,
even over the network (transparently tied to the X display).
No mounting/Unmounting needed.
- Personal auto-mounter for network resources.
- More flexible access control scheme (Using Access Control
Lists, ACL for short) for files and directory.
This is AclFS
- File systems against all odds: Using file systems
like services even without network file system server.
This is LiteFS
- Mapping of common services to file-system semantic (ftpFS).
VirtualFS originally started as the
NetAudio project. While the project
preserves NetAudio's original features, it offers
new and not so related functionalities.
Note: NetAudio was renamed RemAudio as another product
was already using that name.