Linuxconf 1.7r17 (test release)
We are getting closer to 1.8 which should be a significant public
release. Linuxconf 1.6, maybe for its new web mode, has made significant
inroads in the linux community. 1.7 has fixed many problems and provide
many enhancements (privileges, better web interface to name a few).
Please test this one and send as much comments as possible.
- Minor correction so it compiles on Slackware 3.1 (ncurses has now replaced
completly the old BSD curses. There is no more /usr/include/ncurses.
It should compile anywhere the way it is now.
- Linuxconf boots (silently) even if /dev/console is missing. It also
check permissions setting of /dev/console and will create if needs
(Yahoo Slackware 3.1).
- All commands executed by linuxconf are now start under better
supervision. If any command fail to finish withing 4 seconds, linuxconf
will bring a dialog allowing you to skip this step (command left in
background), kill it, of terminate the activation session. Further
the dialog has a "config" button allowing you to enter linuxconf
configuration right from there. Whenever you quit the configuration mode
linuxconf will resume the activation (it will redo/undo whatever is
needed to make sure the machine state fits the new configuration).
Test this out. Boots with bogus config and so on. You should be able
to fix things as they happen (no endless waiting) and there is no needs
to reboot. Major feature imho. Comments welcome.
- The list of command managed by linuxconf is reworked. The dialog
for each command now contain that path, the optionnal args and a check
box to say if linuxconf is allowed to manage this command/daemon.
- The "view logs" menu has been enhanced. Beside the boot logs, one
can browse the file /var/run/netconf.log which contain (since day one)
all configuration activity generated by linuxconf.
- Linuxconf now produce much more verbose output when booting. You can
control the level in the "configure boot mode/default boot mode". It is
expected to grow much more verbose than that. Please, reboot your computer
and watch the output and then go browse the "linuxconf logs".
- Some gifs were missing for the buttons of the web mode.
- Some html fields are now choice list instead of combo-box. Further
the choice list associated with the text field of a combo box is now
- One long time bug of the html mode has been fixed. For example, when
creating a new user account, whenever you were doing any mistake, linuxconf
was getting confuse and the account was not created.
- Some menu are now better presented with multiple columns lines. Especially
better looking in html mode.
- The dialog for NFS server was not up to date. The Del and Save buttons
were not working properly.
- A Add button is now available when editing host by domain